Top night markets in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Top night markets in Phnom Penh in Cambodia gives you another option to enjoy nightlife in Phnom Penh, the bustling capital of Cambodia. It is said that, if you wish to learn the local life, the fastest and easiest way is to head to local markets. It is the products sold in market, the way people trade and the quick friendly talks with locals that truly reflect how locals conduct their way of life. In the following, GoAsiaDayTrip would love to share you 3 night markets in Phnom Penh for your night exploration.
Phnom Penh Night Market (Phsar Reatrey):
Phnom Penh Night Market is a new night market located in a park near the riverside of two streets of Street 106 and 108. The market is home to a wide range of Cambodia handicraft silks, food, curios and souvenirs. At the rear of the market, just behind the stage, there is a food corner with large picnic setting style serving famous Khmer food. The main categories of products sold here include clothes, scarves, handicrafts and inexpensive jewelries.
If you are searching for some souvenirs, Phnom Penh Night Market is a good place. Plus, if you want to have your own portrait, the artists in the market can help you out. A good news is, in the center of the market, you can find abundance of products given at promotion rate. These products mainly target to Cambodians, but it is a cultural and colorful event and a great chance for tourists to learn some aspects of local lifestyle.
Phnom Penh Night Market is open from 5:30 – 11:30 pm on Wednesday – Sunday. It takes 9 minutes driving from Cambodia Railway Station and 33 minutes from Phnom Penh International Airport. Address: Preah Mohaksat Treiyani Kossamak, Phnom Penh, between Street 106 and 108.
2. Jet’s Container Night Market:
This is a brand new night market in Phnom Penh with unique setting of containers. Featuring with restaurants, stalls and pubs, Jet’s Container Night Market brings a fresh experience for visitors when wandering around the night market. There are 224 stalls here offering great choice for food (local food, Thai food, Korean dishes), clothes, handicrafts. The market also provides a stage for live performances giving more entertainment activities for visitors.
Jet’s Container Night Market is located on National Assembly Street, near Street 78. It opens from 4:00 pm – 11:00 pm daily. At weekend, the market can open for extra time to better serving visitors.
3. Old Market (Phsar Chas):
The next night market in Phnom Penh is Old Market (Phsar Chas). Located on the river at the south end of the Old French Quarter, Old Market is one of the most crowded and popular markets in Phnom Penh. Old Market is featured with various galleries, shops, restaurants, bars and more. Items sold here range from Cambodian handicrafts, textiles, statues, curios to second-hand clothes, hardware items. If you are a food lover, then Old Market is an ideal place for local cuisine. When in here, let try out fish amok, lok lak, balut, steamed pork bun, pickled fruits and many more.
It is very easy to find this bustling market in Phnom Penh. You just need to head to the Old French Quarter and then you will be welcomed by the typical sounds and sights of the popular market.
Old Market opens from 6:00 am – 7:00 pm. The market closes in the early evening, though, there are many souvenir vendors still trade till 8:00 pm. The best time to explore the market is in the morning and you are highly suggested to spend all day experiencing the charms of the market.
What food should you take on your tour to night markets in Phnom Penh? Check out our below suggestions:
- Num kachay (chive cakes) is a kind of flattened rice-dough patty with filled with chives and sometimes spinach and fried up in huge pans. The cake is either in round or square shape. Num kachay is enjoyed with chilli sauce.
- Mie char / lort char (fried noodles) is a perfect choice for midnight snack when wandering around night markets in Phnom Penh. This fried noodle served with veggies, tofu, chicken, shrimp or pork that makes different flavors for the dish.
- Steamed buns are a kind of cake adopted from China. This cake is made from wheat flour filled with minced pork and mushroom. Remember to peel off the paper at the bottom before you eat them.
- Take some fresh fruits to balance your taste of the day: when in Southeast Asian countries, don’t miss the chance to try out the regional fruit specialties. Those fruits here are truly delicious and affordable. Let try rambutan, mangosteen, pomegranate, pomelo, papaya, pineapple, coconut, durian and watermelon.
Besides typical nightlife activities at every tourist attraction like experience at bars, pubs, clubs, paying a visit to local markets brings you closer to local life. The list of top night markets in Phnom Penh hopefully gives you another vibe for nightlife experience in the capital city of Cambodia. For more suggestions to exploring Phnom Penh, check out our related articles below: