The World’s Heritage Site Halong Bay (Quang Ninh, Vietnam) welcomes millions of visitors every year. In order to ease the accessibility to the bay, the country has invested greatly to upgrade and develop transportation infrastructure and facilities. One of the remarkable efforts is to launch a new international airport directly serving Quang Ninh Province which is also known as the closest airport to Halong Bay. What is the name of the airport and its facilities? Let’s discover in the following.
- 1. All airports near Halong Bay – The closest airport to Halong Bay:
- 1.1. Noi Bai International Airport:
- 1.2. Cat Bi International Airport:
- 1.3. Van Don International Airport – the closest airport to Halong Bay:
1. All airports near Halong Bay – The closest airport to Halong Bay:
1.1. Noi Bai International Airport:
Many people may be familiar with Noi Bai International Airport or Hanoi Airport as it is the gateway to get into Vietnam. Located in Soc Son, Dong Anh, Hanoi about 150 – 190 km from Halong Bay (highway), do you think Noi Bai Airport is the closest airport to Halong Bay?
Here comes with some basic information about Noi Bai International Airport.
- IATA: HAN
- About 29 km from Hanoi City center
- Area: around 140,000 m2
- Terminals: Terminal 1 for domestic flights, Terminal 2 for international flights
Learn more about How many airports in Hanoi with us!
How to move from Noi Bai Airport to Halong Bay:
To get to Halong Bay from Noi Bai Airport, you can consider either leave directly from here for Halong Bay or arrive in Hanoi and then transfer from there to Halong Bay.
- From Noi Bai Airport:
You can transfer to Halong Bay without transiting in Hanoi. From the airport, you can choose one of the following options:
Coach: You can use the coach offered by Anbasco Noibai Services with the price of around VND 290,000. The daily departure time is at 6:30, 8:30, 11:30, 13:30, 15:30 and 18:30.
Taxi: This is one of the most convenient ways to get to Halong Bay. It may cost you around US$ 70-80 for the trip.
Transfer service from a travel agent: You also can refer to a private transfer service with a local travel agent like GoAsiaDayTrip. Call us at our hotline number: +84-9-4161-8080 for instant support.
- From Hanoi City: When in Hanoi City, you have more choices to move to Halong Bay.
Check out the ultimate guide for Hanoi to Halong Bay Transfer.
1.2. Cat Bi International Airport:
The second airport near Halong Bay we want to introduce to you is Cat Bi International Airport. Situated in Hai An, Hai Phong, about 60 km from Halong Bay, Cai Bi has many flights from multiple airline carriers to a lot of popular destinations in the world. With the distance of 60 km from Halong Bay – more than a half closer to the bay compared with Noi Bai Airport, do you think Cat Bi is the closest airport to Halong Bay?
More information about Cai Bi Airport:
- IATA: HPH
- Most popular routes: Hai Phong – Danang, Hai Phong – Bangkok, Hai Phong – Seoul, Hai Phong – Shenzhen, Hai Phong – Matsumoto.
How to get from Cat Bi to Halong Bay:
From here, you can take either a bus, taxi or shared car to Halong Bay.
- Bus: To catch the bus, you first need to take a taxi to Lac Long Station, then catch a bus to Hon Gai, Halong and take a taxi again to Halong Bay. The trip may take 2 hours but it helps you save some money. The estimated cost is about US$ 10-13.
- Taxi: This can help you save time and costs about US$ 35-50 for a trip.
- Shared car: You can find a lot of shared car services at the airport. The drivers will pick up enough passengers for a car and you’ll share the fares with each other. This may cost you 1 hour and US$ 15-20.
1.3. Van Don International Airport – the closest airport to Halong Bay:
The last airport we would like to show you is Van Don International Airport, located in Quang Ninh, about 50 km from Halong Bay. Opened in December 2018, constructed with well-invested infrastructure and excellent facilities, Van Don is the newest commercial airport and the most advanced airport in Vietnam until now. It has 3.6 km runway to accommodate the world’s state-of-the-art aircrafts. Now that you have found the answer for the closest airport to Halong Bay right? It is Van Don International Airport. Let’s explore further about the airport to have the best Halong Bay day tour.
- IATA: VDO
- Area: 325 ha
- Website: http://www.vandon-airport.com/
How to get to Halong Bay from Van Don Airport:
As it is the closest airport to Halong Bay, assess to the World Heritage Site is much faster and easier.
In case you are in Vietnam, you can have Halong Bay day tour from Hanoi!
By bus: Public shuttle buses including 14A and 14B which run every 90 minutes between Halong and Van Don Airport provide the fastest, cheapest and easiest mean of transportation to get to the bay.
- For Van Don – Halong Route: the bus begins 30-60 mins after arrival time of your group’s flight.
- For Halong – Van Don Route: the bus begins 3.5 hours before the departure time of your group’s flight.
It is advisable that you book a bus at least 60 mins before your departure time. To book the bus, you should contact your travel agent for help or refer to the bus website.
By taxi: Another option is that you can grab a taxi from Van Don Airport to Halong Bay. The fare is from VND 10,000 / km.
We hope that this article has provided you the necessary information about transportation in Halong Bay. Wish you have a great trip in the beautiful bay!