Cambodia is a famous tourist destination of Southeast Asia, attracting visitors from all over the world by the ancient ruins as Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, natural beauty as the Tonle Sap and Mekong rivers and, along with the beaches, beautiful islands like Sihanoukville, Koh Rong Salem… Travel Cambodia is a wonderful experience for Buddhists, who are interested in exploring the ruins of the past as well as the tourists fascinated by the wild beauty of creation.
1.Cambodia Travel Tips – Transportation:
Cambodia Travel Tips – You can choose to move to Cambodia by plane. However, if you travel Cambodia after visiting Vietnam, you would choose to travel by bus from Saigon, this also brings an unforgettable experience and save lots of money. From Saigon, many carmakers as Mekong Express, Mai Linh, Sapaco or some of Cambodia carmakers so it is very convenient for moving. You can follow the journey of Saigon – Phnom Penh and Saigon – Siem Reap. If you move from Hanoi, there are direct flights available from Hanoi to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. You can also prepare your airport transfer to your hotel here.
In Cambodia, there are not many taxis, if you want to travel sightseeing by taxi then you should ask the hotel to contact daily with the agreed price. Tuk Tuk is quite convenient to move here with cheap price, you can also rent a bicycle or motorbike, but no matter you travel by any means of transportation, you should prepare the map in advance. In Phnom Penh you should not travel by motorbike after midnight, Siem Riep has better security with travel police around. Although hiring a motorbike can help you explore more of Cambodia, taxi or tuk tuk is still a safer option because of traffic in major cities like Phnom Penh quite crowded and dangerous.
Moving to some major cities in Cambodia by bus is the most affordable option. Traveling from Phnom Penh to Siem Riep cost only 6-10$.
The currency in Cambodia is Riel, but for convenient visitors should prepare odd USD as many stores, markets… in Cambodia accept USD. Visitors can also exchange money to Riel at the border gate area. Tourists can also use Vietnamese currency in Phnom Penh.
1 USD = 4000 Riel
Banlung is the capital town of Ratanakiri – the eastern province of Cambodia. This is a wild land with vast forests and is also inhabited by the ethnic minorities of Cambodia. Therefore, come to Banlung you will experience quite different from the popular attractions of Cambodia. Some popular destinations in Banlung is Yeak Laom volcanic lake, Wat Rahtanharahm, Chaong waterfall and Virachey National Park. Banlung is also home to many rubber factory and gemstone mines. You can ask the hotel staff about the tour discover precious stone mines.
Phnom Penh is the capital of the Kingdom of Cambodia, one of the most important destinations that you should not miss when visiting Cambodia. The peaceful capital will welcome you with splendid palace, grave pagodas, and bustling night markets… Here are some famous attractions in Phnom Penh for you to refer to:
- Royal Palace and Silver Pagoda are the most popular attraction in Phnom Penh.
- Wat Phnom Pagoda
- National Museum of Cambodia
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum
- The Killing Fields where the Khmer Rouge executed many innocent people
- Wat Botum Pagoda where Pol – pot lived in his childhood.
- Independence Monuments
- Sisowath Quay Riverside Area: with many bars, cafes, shops …
- For visitors who prefer branded clothes, Russian market is the destination not to be missed on a trip to Cambodia. Phnom Penh is by far the place where many factories producing clothing for big brands like Levis, CK, Ralph Lauren …, the samples are usually smuggled out in this market with very attractive prices.
Siem Riep has been famous for the ancient world wonder – Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, but Siem Riep also has some remarkable sites in center of city:
- Angkor National Museum: exhibits the history specimens showing Angkor history with modern technology. The most impressive of the museum is the 1000 Buddha room.
- Wat Bo Pagoda: influenced by French architecture and Thai Buddhist.
- Wat Preah Prom Rath Pagoda: 500 year old temple with the reclining Buddha.
- Angkor Silk Farm: not far from the city center but located in rural areas where you can watch the process of making silk from Cambodia.
- One of the busiest areas of Siem Riep is the Old Market with many café, restaurants with many prices. And if you are looking for some bars, pubs then you can visit Pub Street Road, considered as the foreigner street like the Khao San Road in Bangkok or Bui Vien Street in Saigon.
Angkor Relics has two main temples which are Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, located far from Siem Riep 6 km to the North. This special and important relic of Cambodia can be divided into 5 main areas:
- Angkor Wat & Angkor Thom: Angkor Wat is the most spectacular architecture in the whole relics, whereas Angkor Thom is the ancient capital. Angkor Thom has many temples with highlights architecture such as Bayon Temple, Baphuon Temple, Phnom Bakheng temple located on top of the hill (you can ride elephants up here), Terrace of the Elephants, Leper King Terrace of the and 5 big gate leads into Angkor Thom. This is the most characteristic images of Cambodia tourism.
- Little Circuit: this region is most famous for Ta Prohm Temple where the works of nature combined with human work. The stone architecture of the temple is so closely tied to the branches and roots of trees, creating an amazing spectacle, attracting tourists to Cambodia. It is also famous attraction as actress Angelina Jolie filming her movie “Tomb Raider” here.
- Big Circuit: This area also has a similar construction as Ta Prohm which is Preah Khan Temple with stone walls interspersed oldest tree. Big Circuit also has an ideal location for watching sunset that is Pre Rup Temple.
- Roluos Group: the ruins in this area belongs to Hariharalaya ancient city with the dating back more than Angkor, including Bakong temple brings pyramid architecture is the most prominent.
- The peripheral temple: this region located quite far from the center of the ruins, but there are unique works and most difference architecture. Banteay Srei Temple attracted by its feat architectural details. Kbal Spean as known as 1000 linga (linga is worshiped symbol of civilization of Indus valley), with the rocks under the water stream in a rectangular area between the woods. Beng Mealea Temple with ruins are close to nature, with plants proliferate on ancient architecture, creating fresh air but murky, ancient. Phnom Krom temple is situated on a hill, with a view of the Tonle Sap, a pleasant experience while traveling in Cambodia.
Tonle Sap is the largest lake in Southeast Asia, linked to the Mekong River via the Tonle Sap River in Phnom Penh. In the rainy season, the Mekong River water flowing to the upstream push Tonle Sap river, significantly increasing the amount of water in the lake. You can take a ferry on the lake under 2 routes: Phnom Penh – Siem Reap and Siem Reap – Battambang. Also, in the city of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang and some other lakeside city, guests can rent a boat to explore the floating villages on the lake, a very interesting experience for tourists.
Battambang is located besides Sangke River. This is a peaceful small town with the building style of French architecture. Some interesting sites in Battambang: Kamping Puoy lotus pond, Wat Ek Phnom with 28 m Buddha statue, Prasat Banan Temple, Temple Prasat Snung and Nory bamboo train. This destination is not ancient and mysterious as the other tourist destinations but Battambang still brings its own personal attraction.
Kampot: is a small town located in southern of Cambodia, beside the Kampong Bay riverbank and not far from the Gulf of Thailand. Cambodia Tourists come here to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the countryside along the river. Some featured attractions: Bokor Mountain with the deserted house in French colonial architecture, Phnom Chhnork Cave, famous ancient bridge spanning the river and old train station.
Sihanoukville: this coastal town owned most famous beaches in Cambodia, including Otres / Ochheuteal has been known as the cleanest and most beautiful beach. Also from Sihanoukville, visitors can visit some beautiful islands like Koh Russei and Koh Rong – Paradise Island; can also be regarded as the most beautiful islands and beaches of all islands of Cambodia.
Cambodia Island: Cambodia is proud of many southern islands in the Gulf of Thailand with stunning scenery:
- Koh Kong: a green island with most of the area covered by mangroves.
- Koh Rong Samloem: located near Koh Rong island, with beautiful unspoilt beaches
- Koh Ta Kiev: situated off Sihanoukville.
- Koh Totang: has clear blue water, ideal for snorkeling activities
Check out Cambodia’s cuisine HERE.